Are you setting a New Year’s resolution to get more organized in 2022? Or perhaps this is an ongoing goal of yours you’re always working toward. Either way, one of the common areas in many homes that leads to a lot of frustration and overwhelm is closets. They can quickly become a space to toss things and hide them away if they aren’t thoughtfully designed and organized. But we’re here to help! In today’s post, we’re going to share our top closet organization ideas and storage tips for the closets in your home.
Top Closet Organization Ideas: Storage Tips for Closets
With these closet organization ideas on your side, you’ll be well on your way to having your most organized year yet in 2022!
Closet organization ideas for walk-in closets
For many people, a walk-in closet is a dream come true. But if the closet isn’t designed thoughtfully, with organization systems in place, it can quickly become a nightmare.
Don’t let this happen to you! Put these organization ideas to work for you to make your dream closet a reality:
- Utilize custom closet accessories: There are accessories meant to help you store virtually every item you can think of in your closet! Give them a try in your own walk-in closet to make the most of your space. This includes jewelry racks, shoe storage, and tie racks.
- Add hooks: In addition to traditional hanging rods, adding hooks strategically throughout your walk-in closet is one of your favorite closet organization ideas. You can use these hooks as designated spots to hang robes, towels, and other items you might otherwise toss on the floor in a rush.
- Built-hampers: Speaking of things you toss on the floor? Well, another way to get ahead of that is adding built-in laundry hampers to your walk-in closet. These can be tucked neatly away so they don’t take up too much room. Then, you can open them to toss your clothes when you’re done with them to keep your closet and the rest of your bedroom organized. Here’s a few ideas.
(Is 2022 also the year you make your dream of having a custom walk-in closet come true? That’s what we’re here for! Visit this link next to learn more about the custom walk-in closet systems we offer)
Closet organization ideas for reach-in closets
Don’t give up on your reach-in closet! Even if you’re short on space, there are several ways to strategically design small closets and maximize their space.
Start with these ideas:
- Utilize all vertical space: Don’t let any room in your closet go to waste! Especially when quarters are tight, it’s important to use every possible inch of space in your closet. That means adding shelving at the top of your closet for seasonal items, as well as lower storage for shoes and other items, rather than just using the center of the closet for hanging space.
- Add shelf dividers: These help you keep things organized and know exactly where to find what you’re looking for.
- Use your closet door for additional storage: There’s valuable real estate on the interior of your closet door—don’t let it go to waste! Use this space for hanging items, including a hanging shoe rack that saves a lot of space throughout the rest of your closet and home.
Closet organization ideas for pantry closets
Next, let’s talk about your pantry closet. These are one of the most notoriously challenging areas of the home to get (and keep) in order. You need smart systems in place along with a strategic design to do so.
You’ll also want to put tips like these to use:
- One of the best pantry closet organization tips you’ll ever hear involves labeling your storage. This is a great way to know where to find what you’re looking for. At the same time, it also prevents you from emptying out every nook and cranny to find what you need!
- Clear storage is your friend in pantry closets. This includes the use of clear closet doors and clear storage. Again, this helps you find what you’re looking for, saving yourself a lot of effort and extra mess!
- Storing like with like is also a helpful strategy for pantry closets. For example, if you know all of your soup packets are in one cabinet? Then you won’t have to look all over the place to find the one you’re looking for!
Closet organization ideas for linen closets
Finally, let’s talk about linen closets. Often, these are reach-in closets, so you can use those tips too.
But here are some closet organization tips specifically for organizing linen closet items:
- Use baskets to store your items. And yes—this includes towels and beddings! They can quickly become messy and disorganized if they’re left on the shelves by themselves. But if you have a dedicated basket for each set of sheets? It’ll make preparing the guest room for visitors a breeze! Put this same tip to use for the other items in this space, including cleaning supplies.
- Add wire racks to your linen closet doors. These racks provide you with additional shelving, and they’re also useful for separating and organizing your belongings.
- Install a hanger meant just for your ironing board! Rather than standing it up in your linen closet, this saves you valuable floor space you can use for better purposes.
(Visit this page next for even more linen closet storage tips!)
Design Your Dream Closet with JB Closets
Have these closet organization ideas given you the inspiration you need to start designing your own custom closet? We should talk! As your trusted custom closet designers on the Treasure Coast, we have the experience and expertise you need to create custom home spaces that enhance the function of your home without sacrificing your style or taste.
Did you know we also offer storage solutions for other spaces in your home? From laundry rooms to home offices and everything in between, we have the experience and know-how to bring your vision to life!
Did you learn a lot from this post?
Here are some more helpful posts to read next: