We often hear from new customers that they’re frustrated with their small closet and they need ways to improve their L-shaped closet’s design and functionality. If this applies to you, too, you’re in the right place! In this post, we’re sharing our top small L shaped closet ideas to help you get organized and make the most of whatever space you have.
If you’re struggling with what to do with all your clothes, shoes, and accessories, our small L shaped closet ideas will help you get organized in no time!
Common Challenges with Small L Shaped Closets
Before we get into solutions for these problems, let’s talk about some of the common issues we see with small L shaped closets.
One of the biggest challenges with small L shaped closets is that they often have a lot of wasted space. This can be due to poor layout or lack of storage solutions. As a result, many people end up stuffing their small closets full of clothes and accessories, making it difficult to find what you’re looking for and keep everything organized.
Another common issue? Small L shaped closets often have doors that open into the room, taking up valuable space. This can make it difficult to access your clothing and make it hard to keep the area around your closet clean and clutter-free.
Finally, another challenge we see with small L shaped closets is that they tend to be cramped and cluttered. This makes getting dressed in the morning a frustrating experience. It also makes it challenging to keep your clothing and accessories organized.
Our Top Small L Shaped Closet Ideas
Now that we’ve gone over some of the common challenges with small L shaped closets, let’s get into our top small L shaped closet ideas!
Custom storage solutions
One of the best ways to make the most of a small L shaped closet is to use custom storage solutions. This can include adding shelves, drawers, or hanging rods to maximize space and help you stay organized. Working with a custom closet company like JB Closets is the most effective way to maximize the storage and functionality of any closet, whether it’s big or small.
A well-designed custom storage solution will help you make the most of your small L shaped closet and keep everything organized. It also frees up space in your bedroom or dressing area to keep the area around your closet clean and clutter-free.
In addition, a custom storage solution will allow you to easily see and access everything in your closet, making it easier to get dressed in the morning.
Add a mirror
Another great way to improve the functionality of a small L shaped closet is to add a mirror. This will help you save space by eliminating the need for a separate dressing area. Mirrors can also make the space feel larger and brighter.
Use light colors
Another small L shaped closet idea is to use light colors. Light colors tend to make spaces feel larger and more open. This can be especially helpful in small closets where every square inch counts!
Get rid of clutter
One of the best ways to improve the look and feel of a small closet? Get rid of any clutter that’s taking up space! This might include old clothes, shoes, or accessories you no longer use. Getting rid of clutter will also make it easier to find what you’re looking for and keep your closet organized.
Here are some of our all-time favorite decluttering tips:
- Sort items by type: Start by sorting your clothing, shoes, and accessories by type. This makes it easier to see what you have. Then, you can decide what to keep and what to get rid of.
- Edit your wardrobe: Take a close look at it and edit it down to only the items you love and wear regularly. This can be a difficult process, but it’s worth it in the end!
- Donate or sell unused items: Do you have items that you no longer use or need? Then consider donating them or selling them online. This is a nice way to declutter your closet and help others in the process!
Maximize vertical storage space
Another small L shaped closet idea is to maximize vertical storage space. This can be done by adding shelves, hooks, or hanging rods. This will help you make the most of your small closet and keep everything organized.
Here are some ideas to start you off:
- Add shelves: Shelves are a great way to add extra storage space to a small closet. You can use them to store clothes, shoes, or accessories.
- Install hooks: Hooks are a strategic way to take advantage of unused wall space in a small closet. They’re perfect for hanging jackets, bags, or hats.
- Add a hanging rod: This is a helpful way to increase the amount of space you have for storing clothes.
(Get even more bedroom closet ideas here)
Small L Shaped Closet Ideas: What NOT To Do
Of course, small L shaped closet ideas are not all created equal. In addition to the small L shaped closet ideas above, there are also a few things you should avoid doing if you want to make the most of your small space.
Here are a few small L shaped closet ideas to avoid:
- Don’t forget about the door: One common mistake we see people make is forgetting about the door when planning their small closet. Remember that the door takes up valuable space and needs to be taken into account when planning your storage solutions.
- Don’t overcrowd your shelves: Another mistake people make is overcrowding their shelves. This can lead to clothes getting wrinkled or items falling off shelves and getting damaged. Only put as much on each shelf as you can comfortably fit.
- Don’t forget to declutter: We can’t stress enough how important it is to declutter your small closet. Not only will this make your space look better, but it will also make it easier to find what you’re looking for and stay organized.
Bring These Small L Shaped Closet Ideas to Life
Ready to put these ideas to work for you? We’re here to help! Get in touch to learn more about how we can help you maximize the space in your small (or big!) closet.